Thursday, June 9, 2016

Stuck

You know how you get a great story idea and you start writing and everything is flowing great. Then it just stops. It happens to the best of us. Usually you can go and reread a few chapters back or even from the beginning of the story and that will get you back in that mindset to continue. This usually works for me.
Well lately, I have been stuck with every project I go back to. I have reread numerous short story and novel starts in the past couple of weeks and managed to only do some light editing or add a few sentences. That's it. 

Some call this writer's block. I like to think of it as being stuck. Nothing is really blocking my way. It is more like I stepped in some gum and my shoes are stuck to the pavement below. I need to struggle some, pull and fight, but eventually I will get free and back into my groove. Being blocked is different. Blocked is when something in the story itself isn't working out. I have this growling dog standing in my way on that road I'm walking and I have to find a way around. I have to rethink things. Make plans. Find an alternative route. Once I have found my way around the dog, one way or the other, I can get back to my story.

I have been reading a lot lately, which usually helps, but not this time. I am pretty frustrated about it. My own personal goals are falling behind. My continuing story on my other blog has suffered. My sequel to Threads of A Web, that is only about a quarter of the way done, is not going to be published when I was hoping I could. I had another collection of short stories that I need to wrap up and was planning to have out next month. Not sure about it now.

At any rate, hoping I can get out of this writing funk pretty soon. Meanwhile, I am catching up on editing, beta reading, and reading for fun. Really hoping I can surpass my goal of reading a hundred books this year. I have read fifty-three so far so it's looking good!

Fellow readers and writers, good luck to you and have a great summer!

No comments:

Post a Comment