Saturday, March 28, 2015

Insurge-what?

Yes, I know you aren't supposed to compare the movies to the books they are "based on" (Use that term loosely, Hollywood). But sometimes, it just can't be helped.

As I'm sure you've figured out, I saw Insurgent tonight. I went in with an open mind, kind of, and was determined to enjoy it even though I knew it would be a bit different from the book, like the first of the series, Divergent was. Well, this wasn't different from the book so much as a different story altogether. Okay then, let's look at it as just a movie. Just a sequel to the first movie. Let's do that. 
FYI, I haven't read Allegiant but I'm already afraid for that book to movie disaster in the making.
(SPOILERS AHEAD!)

My first issue is the pacing. You're trying to shove a lot of stuff into one movie and it felt just way too rushed. Concepts are being thrown at the audience at such a speed that I feel like people are just left confused and trying to figure out what the hell it was even all about.
Honestly, I can't remember who that black guy, Tris's friend, was supposed to be. I think his name was mentioned once (Well, whispered maybe) and that's how many times we saw him in the movie. So how are they close friends who hang out on top of a building at night to chat when I don't recall seeing him before and never have to worry about seeing him again? That guy was in and out faster than a ninja. So then, what was the point of his role? 

My next problem was that there were no mysteries here. Everyone seemed to know everything that was going on as it happened. Secrets were revealed all too easily. There were no serious problems to work out because someone will just come along and tell you the answer pretty soon.
Also, how in the name of Tris's too-short hair did Four know about the box? I actually complained out loud about that scene as it played out. Tris never knew about a fricking box until it was shown to her. She never tells Four about it. So how does he magically know about it when she says she has to go get it? Are we to just assume that some guard was all like "Yeah, they're torturing your girlfriend to open a box."? We have to, right, since there's no other explanation?

As a movie by itself it was okay. I should have waited for DVD but oh well, that's money I can't get back. You're welcome, overpriced movie theater. It had action scenes and parts where yes, I actually had to hold back some tears, ("I can't forgive myself.") but as a whole, it could have been better. It could have been much better.

Now, compared to the book. A lot was changed. A few things were not. Some things that were changed were understandable to me. I got why it had to be done. Some things did not need to be changed and there was no reason to change them. Hollywood needs to stop assuming that the audience members are idiots who can't put two and two together. We can handle mysteries. We can handle complex concepts. Otherwise, why would we be going to see a YA dystopian, post apocalyptic, fantasy/sci-fi, however-you-want-to-categorize it movie? Did you ever think that dumbing down this stuff might actually be making our teens, I don't know, dumber?
We can also handle relationship problems between two young adults which take place during the entirety of the book but not at all in the movie. The lovey-dovey puppy dog crap on screen actually had me rolling my eyes in frustration.

To conclude, if you've read the books, don't see Insurgent in theaters. Wait and Redbox it for less than $2. If you haven't read the books, go see it if you like action; sappy, uncomplicated romance; plots that sometimes don't make sense; and everything laid out on the line for you.



3 comments:

  1. I seriously considered typing up a blog post about this abouts well because the Divergent series is my all time favorite book series. I saw this movie on its opening weekend and even though I enjoyed it, I was really irritated by so many things because it was so different from the book.

    Uriah irritated the guy on the roof that you're talking about. I really liked him in the books, as well as his brother, Zeke, who was non-existent in this movie. I won't even talk about Marlene about and Lynn since people who haven't read the books won't know who I'm talking about. I felt like they were so focused on everything Tris and Four that they didn't think many other characters were relevant. Tori, who is one of my favorites in the books (I mean, she did save Tris and she is the one that told her about being Divergent) got shafted in this movie. She didn't even get to kill Jeanine! That was supposed to be her revenge kill since Jeanine killed her brother for being Divergent. And Four and Tris DID NOT have sex in Insurgent.

    Who was the genius that decided to take the concept of Tris concealing the hard drive with the life changing message about the outside world and turning it into a stupid box that was found buried under her house?? Ridiculous. Plus in the book she spent a great deal of time being tested on like a lab rat as opposed to one day.

    I know it's difficult to make film adaptations from books without altering too much content, but this was a poor representation of a fantastic book. If they are planning to split Allegiant into two movies, they could have done the same with this one. There was too much plot involved to cram it into two hours.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I completely agree with you on all points!

      Delete
  2. blog post about this *as well
    Uriah *is the guy on the rooftop
    won't even talk about Marlene *and Lynn

    I was typing this on my phone and it went a little bonkers by adding in words, apparently.

    ReplyDelete