Wednesday, April 10, 2013

My Querying Process

I wanted to share my querying process with you guys just in case it helps someone else who is searching for an agent/publisher for their unpublished novel, short story, etc. I've done this before and after trial and error, I have it down to a process which works for me. Let me state now that this is my process and it may not work for everyone.
At this point, I have a general query letter written. Here's what to do with that letter.

1: Do a search on literary agencies that are interested in your genre.
Use a search engine or a one of the many helpful sites like agentquery.com to find the agency that is a good fit for you.

2: Scope out their website.
It's pretty important that you make sure you are not trying to sell a science fiction story idea to a company that only deals with romance novels. Most company websites will give you all kinds of information about how they work, who their clients are, what publishing companies they have worked with, who their agents are and guidelines on how to submit your work.
Some agencies don't have websites. Or web pages. I find this strange in this modern age but I won't hate on people who like to do it old school. Hell, I prefer real books over e-books.
If you do find a good website that looks promising, bookmark or favorite it. Write it down on a list. Just make sure you have it handy to come back to when you're ready to start sending your stuff off.

3. Scope out their agents.
Make sure you read up on the agents for each agency so you know you are sending it to the right person. Just because an agency says they take fantasy, doesn't mean you should send it to just any agent. Some might prefer urban fantasy, another epic fantasy, still another might only like dark fantasies. If you find one that you think would appreciate your work, maybe follow them on Twitter for a bit or if they have a blog, check it out. This is who you are writing your letter to, so make sure you know you can get their attention in a way they prefer. Get inside their heads so you can better help them get inside yours.

4. Make some lists.
I used Microsoft Excel once to make a list for my queries. I no longer have Microsoft Office on this computer (argh!) so it's back to pen and paper for me. Either way, it's good to have some kind of list you can go back to. 
Some websites offer to keep track of your queries for you. That's cool too. I prefer to do it myself, just in case their server crashes or something. Call me careful. Or paranoid. Whichever.
My categories usually go something like this: Agency, Agent, Date Queried, Response. That seems pretty self explanatory. This time I'm also taking that extra step to put a few details about the querying process for each agent. Which leads us to the next topic.

5. Research each agencies querying process.
Some take emails, some snail mail. We know this. But it's important to make sure you are sending them exactly what they ask for. Some literary agencies may ask for just a query letter. Some may ask for a letter and the first chapter of the novel, or the first ten pages, etc. 
If it's a short story, they may ask for the entire thing now. Others may ask for a synopsis to go along with your letter. Letter, manuscript, synopsis; make sure you understand which ones they are asking for the first time you contact them. I'm now keeping track of this info along with my querying list.

6. Check the website once more.
It never hurts to go through each page of the agencies website one last time before you send off your letter. You know, just in case you missed something. It would suck to realize later that you sent a letter to a company that only publishes e-books when you want an actual book published. Or that you sent off a letter and a chapter when you were only supposed to send a letter.

7. Match your letter to the agent and send!
A lot of agencies frown on writers sending the same letter to every agent in town. Especially if sent to all at the same time. Double check your letter and make sure that it includes the name of the agent you are currently querying and not the name of the last guy who rejected you. That would be a big oops. I try to change my letter up a bit for every agency I send it to. I say I try to but it doesn't always happen. If two agents have similar tastes I might send them both a very similar letter.
Now that you know what they want and you have it all ready, send that joker out! You may want to make an extra draft of the email just in case they do not receive it. Keep track of the date you sent it and who you sent it to. And now folks, it's time to play the waiting game.


I'm not exactly a very patient person so waiting for a response sucks. It's almost worse than actually getting the rejection letter. I'm pretty used to getting them. I've been rejected from agencies, publishers, magazines and writing contests. It happens. Does it mean you give up? Hells no! You have to keep on because it may be right after that 120th rejection that you get the letter asking to read your manuscript. Oh joy! Does it mean you will get published? Maybe, maybe not but someone was interested and that is enough to push you to keep on.

The best rejection letters are the ones from agents who take the time to tell you why it wasn't a fit for them. Or perhaps they give you a tip about your letter and how you can improve it. Agents who take the time from their busy schedules to do that are awesome in my book! Maybe their advice can really help you with your writing process. Just think of each rejection as a learning experience and grow from it.
Yes, the waiting game sucks but now you can take the time to work on another project or, in my case, go back and edit old projects. Keep yourself busy and the time will fly. Good luck everyone!

No comments:

Post a Comment