Wednesday, April 3, 2013

Immortals After Dark

A friend first recommended this series to me a year or two ago. I thought "Eh, it's romance. I'll get around to it." When I did get around to it I was surprised. Holy hell in a handbag, this woman can write!

If I read romance novels there has to be an element of fantasy in there or I get bored. No worries about that with these novels: we have action, drama, romance and humor. The characters are relatable whether they are witches, demons, vampires, phantoms, valkyries or werewolves. I love how she takes us into their minds and makes us really feel their tension and sorrow. Oh, and of course, lust. 
We sometimes take trips into the past for history lessons on the heroes (or villians) but these are urban fantasies taking place in our modern world right under our noses.Which makes for more drama because they have to hide their true identities from the humans. It also makes it easy to throw in fun pop culture references.

There are a few wars going on between different clans and/or species but that doesn't stop a budding romance between, oh, a lycan and a valkyrie. Or maybe a demon and a witch. Each couple finds themselves drawn to one another, whether they like it or not, and soon feelings develop. But it's never as simple as that, is it? It can be difficult to spend time with the guy you're falling for if your sisters want to kill him. It's hard to hold the woman of your dreams in your arms when she's a phantom. And beneath each romance is an underlying story of the coming of the greatest war of all where all races will be forced to battle each other to the death.

I can really see how her writing style has improved from book to book and how she gets more and more in depth with each character. Each novel can stand on it's own and features a different couple but other charcters involved are, that's right, couples from another book. So to really know everyone's story and what's really going on, you have to read them all. Trust me, it's worth it.

Once I read one I ran out and bought some more. I plan on purchasing the entire collection because I enjoyed them enough that I will read them over and over again. I seriously recommend the IMMORTALS AFTER DARK series by Kresley Cole to any chick who loves a good romance. 
Or hunky werewolves. 
Or dastardly vampires. 
Or kick-ass valkyries.  
Pick one.

No comments:

Post a Comment