Sunday, March 4, 2018

February Reads & Reviews

Hello, everyone!
I'm a bit behind on my Goodreads reading goal this year, but I plan to make up for it next month. I have been busy starting a publishing company with my friend. That's right, we are officially licensed and up and running. But enough about that (I'll do a post later about the company) let's get back to the indies I read in February.


One Snowy Night 
by Various Authors

Rating: 4 Stars

Review:
An entertaining book of short stories that certainly warmed the heart.
Unforeseen Circumstances -
Though the premise of this story sounded like a bad soap opera, a woman suffering from amnesia falls back in love with her ex, it was done in a way that made it endearing. The characters were relatable and the story sweet.

All the Things I Should Have Told You -
My second favorite story in this collection. A heart wrenching story about unrequited love and how true love means sacrifice and undying loyalty. My favorite bit was these lines at the beginning: "Hell is not full of screams or wails. It is full of rhythmic, mechanical breaths and the beep of machines. It smells of disinfectant, and the cruelest trick it plays is letting you know that everybody is doing everything they can, but it might all flitter away in a moment."

One Snowy Day -
This was my least favorite story. The story is sweet and certainly tugs at the heartstrings, but there is far more dialogue than narrative. The characters have too many info dump conversations and opportunities to really get to know the characters on a more personal level are glossed over.
Again, the story itself is not bad, but it could have been presented better.

Somewhere Between Falling -
My favorite story of the bunch. Told from the two main charcter's point of views, we meet two people who have had their lives turned upside down and their hearts broken. Meeting again has old sparks flying and they begin to wonder if their past disastrous relationships were as deep as they had originally thought. Lovable characters and an intriguing plot made this one hard to put down.

All in all, a nice collection for a cold winter day



First Fruits
by Amanda Carney

Rating: 5 Stars

Review:
This book hooked me from page one. It held a lot of the usual paranormal romance ideas: quiet girl falls for a vampire, finds out she has unique powers, bad guys come after them. What made this story unique was its execution and characters.
The writing style was amusing and detailed. The characters were flawed but lovable. The steamy sex scenes had me fanning myself. The best part, however, was how we got in their heads so completely. I was sucked right into their world.
The cliffhanger at the end had me checking for more pages! No! Why! Looks like I will have to pick up the next book ASAP. 




And that's all I have for you this month! The rest of my reading was spent on indie children's books, which I review elsewhere. I hope everyone had an amazing Valentine's Day. Make sure you have a pint for me on St. Patrick's Day, too!
Happy reading!

No comments:

Post a Comment