Saturday, January 6, 2018

December Reads & Reviews

Happy New Year, everyone!
I hope 2017 treated you right. I didn't quite reach my reading goal for the year, but I did read 106 books. Considering there were a few months that I didn't read at all, that's not bad. I read some seriously amazing books last year, especially from indie authors, so I think my next post will have to be my top ten of the year. But for now, let's see what indie books I read in December!

Origins of the Never
by CJ Rutherford

Rating: 4 Stars

Review:
An interesting fantasy.
Though this has all of the typical overdone high fantasy elements like elves, magic, and good versus evil, it held my interest. The story was well-written and drew me in, making me care about the characters in a short time.
A good intro to a series.


Mutant Toe & the Risky Recruitment
by Edward Davies

Rating: 3 Stars

Review:
To be Continued?
This book is not to be taken seriously, as in, it is one goofy roller coaster ride of laughs and crazy plot lines. If you grew up watching 80s TV shows or cartoons, the one-liners will have you giggling and rolling your eyes. Even the other characters can't take someone seriously when they yell out "You won't get away with this!" and "You'll never escape!" which makes it all the funnier.
This feels like it would be a good comic book, but some of what he is trying to convey just isn't coming out well on the written page. This is definitely a more visual story. Also, being as long as it is, the story would have more appeal if it were broken down into comic book issues.
All around, a decent story if you want a laugh. Perhaps a bit too over the top for my taste, but amusing nonetheless.


Blood Master
by Kirsten Campbell

Rating: 5 Stars

Review:
An interesting take on a dystopian world that drew me in from the first chapter. The main characters are fleshed out so well that we follow their exploits with great interest. The details we are given about their lives, their thoughts, and their feelings make them real for the reader, and that's exactly what I look for in a book.
The story itself is complicated but intriguing, keeping me glued to the pages to find out what happens next. I won't give anything away, but let's just say that I am rooting for the albino! If Book Two is half as good as this one, it will be a wonderful adventure indeed.



I'm excited to read more amazing indie books this year and tell you all about them. Happy reading!
* Books that I read but rated less than 3 stars are not included.

No comments:

Post a Comment