Thursday, January 7, 2016

November - December Reads and Reviews

I last posted an update on the books I was reading in November last year. Let me catch you up to the end of the year so we can start this year fresh. I met my Goodreads Reading Challenge last year. In fact, I blew that goal out of the water. I intended to read 35 books and I read 80! 
Without further ado, here are the reviews for books I read from November 16th to December 31st, 2016.


Prince in the Mist
by Claudy Conn

Rating: 2 Stars

Review:
An okay read. I did feel that it lacked a lot of character detail and sensory detail, those small things that really draw the reader in. The story itself was good, if not predictable. The sex scenes fell flat.

For more of Claudy Conn's books and buy links, check out her Amazon author page.



Patriotic Duty
by C.J. Pinard

Rating: 3 Stars

Review:
Pretty decent story. The romance was sweet, sex scenes okay. I think my main complaint was the excessive action details. She opened a door, she locked a door, she relayed every single text conversation, etc. It was a good story but I think the fact that she was in denial about her feelings, and knew she was in denial, was overly stressed. I was just ready for her to admit her feelings and move on. Who could live for over a year that miserable?
A little more showing and less telling, and the main character being a bit more likable would have made this more of a memorable read. Not bad but not awesome. 


For more of C.J. Pinard's books and buy links, check out her Amazon author page.



Past Life Strife
by Christina McMullen

Rating: 4 Stars

Review:
A great read with an interesting take on angels, demons, and everything in between! Though a bit slow in places, I was drawn into this story and it's characters immediately. A wonderful start to a series. 

For more of Christina McMullen's books and buy links, check out her Amazon author page.


Fang and Claw
by Markie Madden

Rating: 5 Stars

Review:
I don't usually read the crime genre but this book was amazing! The strained relationship between Lacey and Colton is laid out in perfect detail. The supernatural element was almost irrelevant, the characters became so human in my eyes! Even during slow moments, the characters kept the story interesting, moving from forced kindness and stiff responses at the beginning to humor and playful banter by the end. And the mysterious case certainly kept me in suspense.
Great read! 


For more of Markie Madden's books and buy links, check out her Amazon author page.




Magic Resistant
by Veronica Del Rosa

Rating: 5 Stars

Review:
I thoroughly enjoyed this story. It has everything I'm looking for in a paranormal romance and more! The world-building was wonderfully done. The insight into the characters was perfect. The building of sexual tension between Julia and Jackson was delicious. Even a mystery at the end to leave you longing for more! Very well done, a marvelous beginning to a series. 

For more of Veronica Del Rosa's books and buy links, check out her Amazon author page.



Ride Me Hard
by Shari Slade

Rating: 4 Stars

Review:
Sometimes when you feel like your life is going nowhere and you have nothing to lose, you make choices that any rational person would certainly question. Star just wants to lose herself with the sexy, dangerous biker who threatens her life. But will it be worth it in the end?
A hot, quick read that is a great start to a series. 


For more of Shari Slade's books and buy links, check out her Amazon author page.


Not For Sale
by Julie Nicholls

Rating: 4 Stars

Review:
Short but hot read that had me hooked from the first sentence. 

For more of Julie Nicholls's books and buy links, check out her Amazon author page.


The Black Chapel
by Marilyn Cruise

Rating: 4 Stars

Review:
I expected a quick, sexy read but was surprised by a well planned, emotional story that drew me in and kept me hostage! Great start to a trilogy, I must read the next book immediately.


The White Chapel
by Marilyn Cruise

Rating: 4 Stars

Review:
Just when things are finally looking up for Scarlett and Michael, the shit hits the fan and the heartbreak begins anew. This author has a unique talent for drawing me into the main character's life and making me sympathize with her, even when she makes bad choices. Excited to read the conclusion!

For more of Marilyn Cruise's books and buy links, check out her Goodreads author page.



Besides indie books, I read volumes six and seven in The Sandman graphic novel series and also started a new-to-me series, iZombie. I love the TV show so I was thrilled to read the comics. Completely different but still great!

Until next time, guys, be sure to enjoy a good read now and then to escape into an adventurous new world.


No comments:

Post a Comment